Tag:Cincinnati Reds
Posted on: February 22, 2010 10:23 am
Edited on: February 22, 2010 10:23 am
  •  
 

Gomes weighing Reds minor league offer

Free-agent outfielder Jonny Gomes should know by Monday if he'll be returning to the Cincinnati Reds.

General Manager Walt Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, "We would like it resolved by the time the [position] players report."

Position players report on Tuesday.

Cincinnati offered Gomes a minor league deal, but the right-handed slugger is reportedly exploring options with other clubs.

Gomes, who would get a shot to win the left-field position, hit 20 homers for the Reds with 51 RBI and a .267 batting average in 281 at-bats for the Reds last season. Gomes, who debuted with the Tampa Bay Rays in 2003, batted .307 against left-handers and .244 against right-handers last year.

Posted on: February 5, 2010 12:18 pm
 

Mauer deal can happen if....

Can the Twins keep Joe Mauer on the roster? 

John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press suggests the answer is yes, if Mauer will accept less money than he would on the open market, and take a good portion of the money on the back-end of the deal.

Brian Goldberg, Ken Griffey Jr.'s agent, pointed out that a deal for Mauer would be similar to Griffey's deal with the Reds back in 2000.

If Mauer becomes a free agent after this season, he could command as much as $30 million a season on the open market.



Posted on: December 22, 2009 2:49 pm
 

Harang deal holdup

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports has sources saying the Dodgers' pursuit of Aaron Harang is not dead, despite rumors saying a deal won't happen.

That a trade would send reliever George Sherrill to the Reds but the holdup is the Reds want a prospect of some merit from Los Angeles in addition to Sherrill – especially since Cincinnati is willing to eat nearly $10 million of Harang’s $14 million salary and thus keep the deal a financial wash for the Dodgers


Posted on: December 18, 2009 12:08 pm
 

Harang Trade in the works?

The Dodgers have started exploring a possible trade with the Cincinnati Reds for pitcher Aaron Harang, according to multiple baseball sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the talks -- as reported by the LA Times .

The Reds are asking for one or two players on the Dodgers' major league roster in return and the Dodgers would want the Reds to pay for a portion of the $15 million Harang would be guaranteed if he is traded.


Posted on: November 16, 2009 12:30 pm
 

Phillips could go to the Jays

If the speculation that the Reds want to trade Brandon Phillips is true, then Jeff Blair of the Globe & Mail speculates the Toronto Blue Jays would be takers.

Blue Jays scouts think he has the arm to play third base – Phillips won a Gold Glove at second in 2008, but Aaron Hill’s not likely to be moved – and Phillips is well-known to both GM Alex Anthopoulos and adviser Tony LaCava. LaCava was with the Montreal Expos in 1999 when Phillips was chosen second overall, and as an adviser with the Cleveland Indians, he pushed for him to be included in the Bartolo Colon deal. Phillips has two years and $19-million (U.S.) left on his contract.
Posted on: November 16, 2009 12:04 pm
 

Are the Reds looking to cut payroll?

In his blog, John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer suggests that the Red may, eventually have to cut payroll, leading them to dump some players.

When asked if he needed to cut player payroll to balance the budget, GM Walt Jocketty said "not yet." However, the implication is that it could happen and if does,  it means they may have to trade Brandon Phillips or Bronson Arroyo.


Posted on: September 9, 2009 3:39 pm
Edited on: September 9, 2009 4:05 pm
 

Gomes wants maximum at-bats

According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer , Jonny Gomes like to return to the Reds in 2010, but it could come down to playing time.

Gomes is looking for maximum at-bats.  He told the Enquirer, "It’s a time in your career where you could take the opportunity to play close to home. It’s time in career where you could go for the most money. For me, it’s time in my career where I’m still looking for that opportunity. I’m still looking for ... 500, 600 at-bats.”




Category: MLB
Posted on: August 24, 2009 3:52 pm
 

Reds will stay quiet.

John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the chances that the Reds would trade any players are prety slim.

Aaron Harang’s appendectomy and Bronson Arroyo's suppliment talk rule out those two.  And that leaves Francisco Cordero, who has a very narrow field of takers.  A team would have to need a closer and have the resources to take on a player who is owed $25 million over the next two years.



 
 
 
 
The views expressed in this blog are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of CBS Sports or CBSSports.com