The deal will be made official once Commissioner Bud Selig approves the transaction because of the money involved.
Posted on: December 18, 2009 1:48 pm
Posted on: December 9, 2009 11:57 am
According to several media reports, the Cubs are close to a deal involving Milton Bradley.
The Chicago Sun-Times learned from a source that it was not the Rays or the Rangers, as previously thought. GM Jim Hendry wouldn't talk specifically about the progress of Bradley talks.
The Sun-Times report says all but a few teams have been eliminated -- the Tigers, Royals and Blue Jays.
Posted on: December 8, 2009 12:28 pm
The Chicago Sun-Times reports that the Mets are a key for the Cubs to trade Milton Bradley in a three-way deal. The deal is rumored to have 2B Luis Castillo going to the Cubs and Pat Burrell going to the Mets and Bradley to Tampa Bay. The Mets reportedly don't want to settle on Burrell.
The same report suggests that eventually, it's likely the swap for Bradley will be one-for-one between the Rays and the Cubs. The Cubs would get Burrell in that scenario.
Tampa Bay and Texas have been the most serious suitors, but multiple sources said more teams have entered the picture, with one source saying that the number of interested teams is up to four.
<!-- BlogBurst ContentEnd --><!-- start sidebar -->
Posted on: December 7, 2009 2:38 pm
Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports the Rays have some interest in bringing in Milton Bradley, 31, in exchange for DH Pat Burrell, 33, but the finances of such a deal are a major issue, specifically a potential difference of $15 million due the players.
Topkin suggests that if there is going to be a deal, it likely will come down to how much the Cubs are willing to put toward that difference. (Both players make $9 million in 2010, but Bradley has a $13 million salary for 2011 plus can earn $2 million over the two seasons through incentives.)
Posted on: November 20, 2009 2:27 pm
The trade rumors involving Milton Bradley continue with the latest report from Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune :
The Cubs continue trying to find ways to move Milton Bradley in packages that would bring them second baseman Luis Castillo from the Mets. The latest, according to sources, is a three-team deal with the Rangers that would send send the Rangers' No. 1 starter, Kevin Millwood, to New York.
A source with the Cubs believes this proposition has legs, saying, "there's a deal to be made there.'' But the Rangers haven't committed to the return of Bradley, who played in Texas before signing with the Cubs, and would need the Cubs and maybe the Mets to kick in money to pay most of the $21 million remaining on Bradley's contract before doing any deal.
Posted on: November 13, 2009 11:14 am
After talking to seven or eight teams about trade possibilities, the Chicago Tribune reports Jim Hendry felt optimistic about his offseason game plan.
"It's kind of the way I anticipated," the Cubs general manager said upon leaving the GM meetings.
"We need a few moves. We don't need mega-moves. ... I had really good meetings. It was really a good environment after all."
The report goes on to speculate Rangers' Marlon Byrd is to be the Cubs' primary center field target, and sources said Hendry will be able to sign another outfielder even without trading Milton Bradley.
Posted on: November 11, 2009 10:09 am
From the Chicago Tribune : The Cubs and Rangers continued talking on a deal that would send Milton Bradley back to his former team, where he would be reunited with manager Ron Washington .
Rangers general manager Jon Daniels confirmed he was looking for a middle-of-the-order bat, but said any interest in Bradley "depends on the specifics of the deal."
Still, major league sources say the Rangers are the best option for Cubs general manager Jim Hendry, a motivated seller who would like to get a deal done before the winter meetings begin Dec. 7 so he can go forward with his offseason plans.
Posted on: November 10, 2009 12:30 pm
Cubs GM Jim Hendry made it clear how his team's controversial outfielder Milton Bradley may not be traded.
Hendry told MLB.com , ""He's still with us. He's on our roster. ...And that's how you have to go into the offseason.
"Other people have had some major hiccups along the way and come back, and that's just how you have to look at it. He's on your roster until proven differently. That's how we go about it."
Hendry also said the saga and the trade rumors is not distracting to him or the organization.